On Saturday night I spent the evening at home by myself. My brother had gone to a birthday party and wouldn’t be back until the next day, and the cold and dreary weather made it easy for me to decide that staying in for the evening was a good idea. I love evenings like that. I bask in the quiet of the apartment and let my thoughts wander freely. I think, I brainstorm, I write…I get inspired.
One thing I was thinking about was the Unhipster List I wrote and posted a couple of weeks ago. I received quite a few compliments on the list, many people commenting on its hilarity or how they could have written the list themselves because what I wrote seemed so familiar to them. I love knowing that people get a kick out of my writing. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized that I always jump at the chance to let my geek flag fly and write about it, which is exactly what the Unhipster List was all about. But what if I wrote a hip list? What if I wrote about the 25 reasons I’m a hip and cool chicky? Would that be bragging? Conceited? Maybe. Or maybe it would be recognizing the very things that I love about myself that I don’t give myself enough credit for. I wish I did that more. I wish everyone did that more. So often I’m so absorbed in what I’m doing wrong (or perceive I’m doing wrong) that I overlook all the great things I do and the great things that make me special. So on that note, I give you The Hip List:
1. I love with my whole heart-fiercely and passionately.
2. I make fantastic homemade perogies…seriously, they are pretty awesome.
3. I am funny, even when I’m not trying to be funny. Just ask my brother, he laughs at me A LOT.
4. I am very dedicated to my job, and I’m a hard worker.
5. I am awesome with directions and navigation. As mentioned in the Unhip List, I rely on public transportation to get around and this has made me somewhat of an expert in getting from A to B.
6. While I can drive and do possess a driver’s licence, I don’t own a car. It’s never been high on my priority list, and I don’t know if it ever will be, but I manage to get where I need to be just fine.
7. I am a very quick learner – games, computer programs, languages, etc.
8. I have an ability to make people comfortable and open up. Honestly—friends, acquaintances, people I hardly know—for some reason people feel like they can open up to me.
9. I’m a good listener (hence #8 above).
10. I’m a pretty good writer.
11. I know a lot of random things-crazy little factoids and trivia bits-and yet I have no idea HOW I know these things. I hear things and they somehow embed themselves in my brain.
12. I have cool hair, like super cool. It’s an awesome colour, and it’s long, thick and wavy. I can wear it curly, or I can wear it straight. Love my hair.
13. I have very neat handwriting and printing. I get a lot of compliments on both.
14. I mentioned in my Unhip List that I have horrible short-term memory; however I have amazing long-term memory (perhaps why I can recall so many little random facts).
15. I’ve got two butterflies tattooed on the inside of my right wrist which I love. They remind me that I shouldn’t stay closed off in a cocoon; I need to spread my wings and fly (but not fly like a bird, because birds are gross 😉 ).
16. I wear mittens instead of gloves. There’s just something about mittens I think are kind of cool.
17. I read multiple books at a time, mostly because there are so many books that I want to read that I can’t wait to finish one before I start another.
18. I love to travel and explore new places.
19. I’ve got a weird thing for old sitcoms…Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, Golden Girls, The Cosby Show, WKRP in Cincinnati…I could watch them over and over again.
20. My brother is my best friend and I love the relationship that we have cultivated as adults.
21. I have a pretty good ear for music.
22. I love romantic comedies – my favourite is The Holiday.
23. I have an obsession with watching make-up tutorials on YouTube.
24. I like to knit and crochet. I’m not great at it, but I find it soothing.
25. I really great at creating lists. 🙂
What’s on your hip list? What makes you special? What makes you YOU!??